Munich will be forever linked to the rise of Hitler and his National Socialism movement, and there are numerous tours available of the key historical locations in the city where he rose to power and put his stamp on the city. In such terrifying times, there were numerous brave and committed individuals who opposed the Nazis, and who played their part in the German Resistance.
Such acts of bravery have been commemorated and are retold through the outstanding private German Resistance Tour offered by InMunich Tours. The tour takes in the rise to power of Hitler and the various attempts to resist his power, with a fascinating three-hour tour of the key places and stories of this troubled period in Munich's history. The main parts of the tour consist of:
• Rise of the Nazis -Early resistance in Munich.
• Germany's defeat in 1945- The destruction of the city & its liberation by the U.S. Army 70 years ago.
• Dodger’s Alley- The Munich Beer Hall Putsch & passive resistance. Dachau, the first permanent concentration camp & Conservative resistance.
• Hofgartenarkaden & Memorial to the German Resistance- ‘Degenerate Art’, The July 20th Plot, Joseph Hufnagel & Die Weisse Rose.
• Plaque for the Freiheitsaktion Bayern- Rupprecht Gerngross & German military resistance in Munich.
•Walter Klingenbeck’s ‘pirate radio station’& other youth resistance movements.
• Ludwig Maximilian’s University- Hans & Sophie Scholl, Memorials for Die Weisse Rose, Fritz Gerlich & "The Wounds of Memory"
• Georg Elser Memorial- Georg Elser & his attempt on Hitler’s life on 8 November, 1939. Alter Simpl & the Simplissimus satirical magazine, which took a strong stand against extremism.
• Former Gestapo Headquarters- Trial & sentencing of Die Weisse Rose. The arrest & execution of Georg Elser. Head of Gestapo Reinhard Heydrich & his anti-fascist brother Heinz Heydrich.
• Square to the Victims of National Socialism- Memorial to the Murdered Sinti & Roma Gypsies of Europe. Hans Beimler - the only man to escape Dachau, The Dachau Uprising & the myth that Jews didn't fight back. Resistance to the far right in Germany today.
There is no video preview of the tour available, but this video below from a private tourist takes a waklk around the key areas of the university, a central point of the White Rose.
For more information on this and other InMunich tours, contact them directly:
Senftenauerstr 44, 80689, Munich
+49 (0)176 8469 1346