Developed in the 19th century and named after a former concert hall on its southwestern side, Odeonsplatz has played an important part in Munich's recent history, for events and processions, as well as an important piece of National Socialism history.
Originally conceived to make the route from Residenz to Nymphenburg Castle more appealing, it has been used for important parades (more recently with the funeral procession of Franz Josef Strauss) and the 1871 military victory parade, and the annual Oktoberfest also uses it on its route.
Adolf Hitler, who painted at least one work of Odeonsplatz was here in the crowd on August 2, 1914, at a demonstration where the declaration of war was announced, and as you can see from the historical reenactment in the video below:
Hitler made a more last mark on the history of Odeonsplatz just nine years later. Historians tend to agree that the location was chosen due to its parading history for what turned out to be the Beer Hall Putsch of 1923. 16 Nazis and 4 police officers were killed, and during the Third Reich, an annual march to Königsplatz took place to remember the Nazi fallen, who were buried at Königsplatz. A memorial to the Nazi fallen which required everyone passing to salute was demolished in 1945, and a plaque in the pavement honouring the policemen was introduced instead, follow by another in the wall of Residenz in 2010.
Odeonsplatz is also a great concert venue, and there are numerous events throughout the year, which are very popular, like this classical concert in the video below. Can an atmosphere be any more different to a declaration of war?
The imperious lions of Feldherrnhalle watch allcomers travelling down Ludwigstrasse, while the Baroque Theatinerkirche dates back to the 17th century, having been commissioned by Elector Ferdinand Maria and his wife, Henriette Adelaide of Savoy, as a gesture of thanks for the birth of the long-awaited heir to the Bavarian crown, Prince Max Emanuel, in 1662.
Odeonsplatz is ideally located for other popular spots. To the south, the start of the pedestrian zone and Marienplatz is just 100 metres away, and to the east, the delightful Hofgarten and start of the greenest place in the city, the Englischer Garten.
Odeonsplatz is serviced by U4 and U5.